Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lunar Love

Capturing a Full Moon was a dream for me. Again one of those on the "To Try" list.

After having put away the camera for about 10 days, today I decided to take "something" before I hit the bed.

Ok, here it comes, the idea of capturing the craters of moon - the lovely moon. But I havent really thought of what the settings that I might have to try or start with.

Well, I started off googling, which actually dint give me a clear picture of the settings that I might have to try. Always "trying" it gives a better idea than to reading anything to me.

So here, collecting my courage I stepped out to the patio - not bad -the weather was at 50s. Though I was a little shaky, I did a few trials and errors. Thank God, I dint have to use slow shutter speed. Otherwise, it would have been a failed attempt with my shaky shivering hands and without a tripod.

Not bad, I got a shot that actually made some sense to me, though not perfect, after very few trials. I dint have to do anything with the picture -absolutely no editing, except cropping it to tight. So, it is almost a straight out of camera image.

Now the settings part:

There are several "Moon picture Rules" that are available on the net. But I cared less, since I wanted to explore it. And what I learnt was - higher the shutter speed, once can get more details of the moon. Lower shutter speed, opens the shutter for longer time, which intakes a lot of the moon light making it glow and get a dreamy effect and not a "crisp" moon.

So my settings goes like this:

ISO : 200
Aperture : anywhere between 14 - 18 or even 20,
Exposure : 1/120. I kept increasing slowly starting from 100. The higher the shutter speed, the more details were captured.
Lens : Obviously - Canon 55 mm - 250 mm

One thing I learnt later was - I should be shooting such shots in RAW, which I didnot. Had I taken this shot in RAW, I could have got a bigger moon after cropping. Otherwise, other than cropping - this is plain and simple - Straight Out of Camera Shot.

I wish I had known taking a picture of the moon was this easy. It has always been a "big assignment" for me, which I kept postponing.

And here it is... the lovely lunar..

No comments:

Post a Comment